As a project management instructor and course developer in a state university, a project management keynote speaker, and anyone who has been training project managers for pretty much two decades, I suggest this book. I have also helped hundreds to feed their PMP exams (including training PMI employees) and although some people might folks claim they passed without it, I firmly think that the PMBOK is often a must-have.
I have owned every edition on the PMBOK and I can let you know that it’s gotten better as they age. Let’s face it, the content isn’t the most fun but no less than it’s considerably more readable previously. Processes are definitely more refined (some may remember core vs. facilitating processes in older versions) and so are titled more consistently (had some commence with verbs yet others with nouns), descriptions of inputs/tools & techniques/outputs are clearer, and illustrations are less confusing. That said, the novel still only covers the “whats”. If you genuinely wish to know “how” to carry out some of these processes, you’ll need another resource like Project Management: A Systems Approach to Planning, Scheduling, and Controlling.
Kaplan’s GRE Premier 2016 can be a comprehensive prep system which includes both book and mobile-enabled online components. Get use of in-depth strategies, test information, and rehearse questions to assist you to score higher for the GRE. New for that 2016 edition: Premier 2016 contains more targeted instruction throughout the different Quant and Verbal question types and content, plus new questions and explanations.
Kaplan’s GRE Premier 2016 contains 2,200+ total practice questions with detailed explanations, in the Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing sections, and techniques for handling the many question types you’ll encounter on Test Day. It also is included with study plans to assist you to make by far the most of your time and energy preparing for that GRE, along with 1-year having access to an online center that features practice tests, Quiz Bank, and videos to enable you to score higher.
Kaplan’s GRE Premier 2016 features:
2,200+ practice questions with detailed explanations, including brand-new questions and explanations because of this edition
6 full-length practice tests (5 realistic Multi-Stage Tests available on the web and 1 inside book)
500-question online Quiz Bank, for customized quiz creation and article on GRE practice questions
Mobile-enabled online language learning resources: study anywhere on any device by having an internet connection
Online study plans: discover ways to make probably the most of your time and effort, it doesn’t matter how much or very little time you have until Test Day
DVD on stress management, study planning, along with the graduate school application process
Academic support from Kaplan faculty via our Facebook page: facebook.com/KaplanGradPrep
Kaplan guarantees if you study using this book, DVD, and online language resources, you’ll score higher for the GRE—or you’ll be handed a full refund.
For anyone who has seen some in the PMBOK’s poor ratings in reviews of previous versions, you must understand that this is really a high-level guide, not an elaborate text or maybe a mystery novel. As a result, will not expect to become a project management guru towards the end or be entertained with creative irony.
Anyway, as many of you are considering this as you want to grab the PMP exam, we have found some advice:
– Although you may manage to obtain a soft copy with this book since they can be a PMI member, I recommend which has a physical copy. In all my numerous schooling, I’ve never even used a highlighter but I did for your PMBOK when I was studying due to this exam more than a decade ago. It turns out that almost anything was worth highlighting nonetheless it forced me to learn each line thoroughly.
– You will need another book as many exam concepts aren’t even covered from the PMBOK. I personally like PMP Exam Prep, Seventh Edition: Rita’s Course within a Book for Passing the PMP Exam or CAPM/PMP Project Management Certification All-in-One Exam Guide with CD-ROM, Second Edition. You usually do not even require latest editions. Trust me, the concepts would be the same. For instance, earned value lessons in Rita’s 1st edition from yesteryear would be the same as those involved with 7th or 8th editions. SPI will be EV/PV.
– When submitting project experience about the application, you may submit work whether or not your title had not been Project Manager. If you done projects and still have played a lead role, perhaps it will count so submit it. The key point is you should be submitting project leadership activities. You still need 4500 hours of project experience in case you have a bachelors or 7500 hours with out a bachelors. Also, always submit over those thresholds since some activities may be not be accepted.
– Do not buy flash cards; instead, help make your own. Get a stack of index cards you need to writing terms/concepts on the one hand with definitions/formulas/descriptions around the back side.
Hope this will assist. Best of luck to everyone!
***Update (Sep 2013)***
New editions with the books I connected to above were released:
– PMP Exam Prep, Eighth Edition: Rita’s Course in a very Book for Passing the PMP Exam
– CAPM/PMP Project Management Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, Third Edition