The first edition of ELL (1993, Ron Asher, Editor) was hailed as “the field’s standard reference help a generation”. Now the all-new second edition matches ELL’s comprehensiveness and high quality, expanded for any new generation, while being the primary encyclopedia to essentially exploit the multimedia potential of linguistics.
* The most authoritative, up-to-date, comprehensive, and international reference source rolling around in its field
* An entirely new work, with new editors, new authors, new topics and newly commissioned articles having a handful of classic articles
* The first Encyclopedia to use the multimedia potential of linguistics with the online edition
* Ground-breaking and International in scope and approach
* Alphabetically arranged with extensive cross-referencing
* Available in print and internet based, priced separately. The online version would include updates as subjects develop
* c. 7,500,000 words
* c. 11,000 pages
* c. 3,000 articles
* c. 1,500 figures: 130 halftones and 150 colour
* Supplementary audio, video and text files online
* c. 3,500 glossary definitions
* c. 39,000 references
* Extensive number of commonly used abbreviations
* List of languages around the world (including facts about no. of speakers, language
* Approximately 700 biographical entries (now includes contemporary linguists)
* 200 language maps in print and internet-based
Also online via ScienceDirect – featuring extensive browsing, searching, and internal cross-referencing between articles from the work, plus dynamic linking to journal articles and abstract databases, making navigation flexible and simple. For more information, pricing options and availability visit http://www.info.sciencedirect.com.
The first Encyclopedia to use the multimedia potential of linguistics
Ground-breaking in scope – wider than any predecessor
An invaluable resource for researchers, academics, students and professionals inside fields of: linguistics, anthropology, education, psychology, language acquisition, language pathology, cognitive science, sociology, what the law states, the media, medicine & computer science.
The most authoritative, up-to-date, comprehensive, and international reference source in the field